Ethical Clothing is in style
Dull whites and beiges are a thing of the past. I used to think t-shirts would forever be boring and dull. Especially if they were the O word, Organic. I actually jumped for joy when I saw all the different possibilities. I have seen some phenomenal looking t shirts with vibrant colours and catchy phrases. The best part is it’s excellent for our environment.
What is sustainable clothing?
Sustainable clothing production means care is taken to ensure the least harmful and most natural materials are used. Using the least energy possible to produce and distribute the clothing. Using natural, easily renewable fibers like viscose from bamboo helps lessen the amount of land and energy used. Using organic cotton instead of regular cotton prevents chemicals from getting into human environments. The use of energy is also cut down if the fibers are found closest to the end retail location.
What is organic clothing?
Organic clothing is made from materials raised in or grown in compliance with organic agricultural standards. It may be made up of cotton, jute, silk, ramie or wool. The clothing’s fibers are free from pesticides, herbicides or genetically modified seeds.
Benefits of Organic:
- Growing organic cotton is cheaper
- Decreases pollution caused by pesticides
- Causes fewer allergies
- Decreases respiratory problems
- Better for babies
- Helps to improve the quality of land
- Prevents water contamination
Places to Shop and Pricing:
- Anvil sells their clothing thru Amazon, many different in-store boutiques, as well as on their own website. A 100% certified organic cotton t-shirt is just $12.
- Patagonia –Their mens and women’s organic cotton shirts are sold for $35 and are printed on with PVC- and phthalate-free inks.
- American Apparel – Their unisex t-shirt made from 100% organic fine jersey cotton sells for just $18.
Caution, May look Trendy
The old adage, out with old, in with the new still holds a lot of truth. I must say this journey has made me very excited to go out and shop for some new, stylish t shirts. It makes me feel extremely happy knowing there are some excellent options out there for style and I’m even happier knowing pricing is very reasonable. White t-shirts don’t have to be worn with blue jeans any more. The possibilities are endless when it comes to colours and styles. I’m really eager to recycle some of my older, boring t shirts and replace them with newer, more vibrant ones. If at the end of the day, if I look hip and cool, hey that’s an added bonus to me. I’m willing to take that risk! The very best part, I can feel proud knowing I’m doing my part to help the environment and helping put a stop to unethical practices.