- Polyester is the worst fabric you can buy. It is made from synthetic polymers that are made from esters of dihydric alcohol and terpthalic acid.
- Acrylic fabrics are polycrylonitriles and may cause cancer, according to the EPA.
- Rayon is recycled wood pulp that must be treated with chemicals like caustic soda, ammonia, acetone and sulphuric acid to survive regular washing and wearing.
- Acetate and Triacetate are made from wood fibers called cellulose and undergo extensive chemical processing to produce the finished product.
- Nylon is made from petroleum(read plastic) and is often given a permanent chemical finish that can be harmful.
- Anything static resistant, stain resistant, permanent press, wrinkle-free, stain proof or moth repellant. Many of the stain resistant and wrinkle-free fabrics are treated with perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs), like Teflon.
etrochemical dyes(more plastic), formaldehyde, bleach and and host of other additives that are toxic to both humans and the environment. So what should we do? Look for these instead:
If you can, try and wear organic clothing/fabric. Even these will involve some processing, but they are still a better alternative than synthetic fabrics such as polyester and fleece. It is also advisable to buy high quality clothes made with more expensive fabrics. Expensive clothing may seem overpriced, but the quality of the raw materials is superior, so it requires little chemical processing to make them suitable for you. They also last longer, so they do end up being a worthwhile purchase in the long-run.